The Identity Politics of International Travel.
I am back in Cambridge (Massachusetts, not England, just like the narrator in Upamanyu Chatterjee's "English August") for a week. It feels about the same as when I left the place four months ago to go to India, but I had an intense experience of culture shock in the London airport. All those gleaming aisles and fancy stores and nicely laid out boards indicating where to go to get food or catch your flight - it seemed too ordered, too rational to me. Everything was there for a purpose, there was a higher power that had made a plan for our stay in Heathrow and we humans either had to conform to that higher power or suffer in silence. Nothing in India is ever organized in such a Cartesian grid, where everything has a place (or to be more precise, where nothing is out of place). Its in London that I realized that I have gotten used to the organic structure of Bangalore in the last four months. Was it Galbraith who said that its a functioning anarchy? I think that's what it might appear to a Westerner, but I think its because they are so used to their order being transparent. I think we like our order to be a hidden, so that it never becomes a commandment, never a dictatorship of the intellect. Our order (or orders, as in being told what to do or not to do) is open ended, capable of revision and in the worst case scenario, retractible. That may seem like anarchy, but I think it reflects the open-endedness of life.
Anyway, airports always strike me as interesting places to study humans. Even airplanes. I was sitting next to an old Kannadiga couple who were leaving India for the first time. They did not know Hindi or Tamil, let alone English, so I had a hard time being their interpreter. Fortunately, the gentleman in the row behind us stepped in and helped them out as much as he could. Meanwhile, the Indian stewardess hired by British Airways to liason with clients like my rowmates was miffed that they didnt speak Hindi or English. She spent the flight making sure that she was not in any way from the same kind of people as those two Kannadiga's. Meanwhile, the guy behind me increased his solicitations as the flight went along, hoping that his goodwill will mollify the BA goddesses.
Its strange that the same helplessness made one person angry and the other person helpful. Meanwhile all the white BA stewardesses were chatting away with the few white passengers. When I we disembarked, I noticed that while the Anglo's got nice "Good Bye Sir's", the Indian's only merited nods. I am not saying that the BA staff were racist (overtly anyway). I think that international travel amplifies all similarities as well as the distinctions. Since its the primary means by which countries get foreigners these days, its no surprise that the gatekeeping function of airports seeps into the psychology of the airline staff.
Anyway, BA should hire a Kannada speaking stewardess for the Bangalore-London sector.
Anyway, airports always strike me as interesting places to study humans. Even airplanes. I was sitting next to an old Kannadiga couple who were leaving India for the first time. They did not know Hindi or Tamil, let alone English, so I had a hard time being their interpreter. Fortunately, the gentleman in the row behind us stepped in and helped them out as much as he could. Meanwhile, the Indian stewardess hired by British Airways to liason with clients like my rowmates was miffed that they didnt speak Hindi or English. She spent the flight making sure that she was not in any way from the same kind of people as those two Kannadiga's. Meanwhile, the guy behind me increased his solicitations as the flight went along, hoping that his goodwill will mollify the BA goddesses.
Its strange that the same helplessness made one person angry and the other person helpful. Meanwhile all the white BA stewardesses were chatting away with the few white passengers. When I we disembarked, I noticed that while the Anglo's got nice "Good Bye Sir's", the Indian's only merited nods. I am not saying that the BA staff were racist (overtly anyway). I think that international travel amplifies all similarities as well as the distinctions. Since its the primary means by which countries get foreigners these days, its no surprise that the gatekeeping function of airports seeps into the psychology of the airline staff.
Anyway, BA should hire a Kannada speaking stewardess for the Bangalore-London sector.
Comments
But why does our organic structure appear to be so dysfunctional...I know in the Western order the correctness is almost a dictate but there is no excuse for sloppiness and confusion either...while the "too perfect" order of things in the West makes me helpless and wish for something more informal...I wonder if that order is not based on anticipating human needs, the respect for space, some basic civic awareness, a more organised mind...
I appreciate signs and directions...I appreciate proper queues and lanes on roads....I appreciate clear/simple/easy-to-read instructions...and I wonder why this must be an east-west thing? Mohenjodaro-Harappa demostrated a certain order in their city-palnning that we seem to have forgotten...is our sense of order of things so alien?
Thanks for the comment. I guess the point is not that we Indians dont know order - in fact the Sanskrit word Rita is central to the Vedic conception of the world. The question is whether the order is frozen and dictated from above (like the airport, or even more ominously, think of Rajpath in Delhi) or is it active and capable of being modified.
Furthermore, what other price are we paying for easy to read intructions etc? What fine print is being missed? At least one has to take those questions seriously, and not just brushed under the carpet in the name of progress or rationality.
That the severity of Western order is a strict ordering which aims to "put things in their rightful place" and frowns upon any transgressions becomes more evident, only gradually...
Your example of the Indian store owner, who despite the modernisation of his store still retains his humanity and warmth can be seen as one instance that in India a western style of perfect ordering that redefines old relationships and cultural topographies cannot take root.
This reminds me of the movie "Over the Hedge" which shows modern development riding roughshod over the natural habitat and (social) movement patterns of animals...and they end up becoming roadkill...
Hopefuly in the "civilizing" march of modernity, Indians will never become roadkill.